Sunday, February 2, 2014

Snow in the Land of Sunshine

Last week we experienced an unusual batch of weather along the Gulf Coast and in fact, across the Southeast. While we were hoping for snow, what we got was a good dose of sleet and ice! It lasted longer than we anticipated due to very cold temps, and in fact, in a few shady places of my yard, there are still frozen spots four days later. While the ice was a lot more dangerous for older folks like me to walk on, I managed to get up early on the morning after and trek around the farm to get a few photos. My husband was out of town and my son beat the bad weather to a hunting spot north of here, so I was the only one in my family that was home to enjoy the beautiful sights.
Winter is the only time of year you can see the roof of our home. The crepe myrtle branches stood out against the icy roof.
The view from across the pond when it is still makes a pretty reflection. I am still thinking about how silly it was for me to go out so early, alone, with no cell phone. Duh, but thankfully no problems.
The barn looks cold, doesn't it?
The courtyard was full of ice and took the longest to thaw because of the lack of sunshine in that area. 
Jack Frost would like those chairs. 

I did manage to get a few things done while I was off work for three days. I have had a little vanity table that I bought about 20 years ago, and while I loved the shape and details, the dark finish didn't let those features shine through. So I decided to give chalk paint a whirl and see what all the fuss has been about the past couple of years. I have to say it wasn't as hard as I had imagined and I did learn a few things. It's true hindsight is 20/20! The before and after are pretty dramatic and I like it much better painted. My poor husband will think he is living in someone else's house when everything starts wearing paint! 
 BEFORE: Sorry, the hardware had already been removed, but you can see the little table was very sad.
AFTER: I left the hardware kind of half way clean, with a lot of the aged patina.
Now you can see the details and curves of the table and it is smiling at me.
  I will always be able to remember that this was my Snowy Days project. Even the color is reminiscent of the ice on the brown grass of winter...Ready to try it again!




No comments:

Post a Comment